The Trail Route

The Trail Route
The route, nicked from the Heart of Wales Line Trail promotional leaflet. Click on the picture to visit the official site.

Monday 29 July 2019

Day 7 - Builth Wells to Llanwrtyd Wells, 14.6 miles.

Total ascent, 673m (2208ft).

Monday, 29th July.


Happy Anniversary Jen! x


The scenario at the start of the day was that I had a big rucksack and Jen had no rucksack. We were going to walk 14ish miles to Llanwrtyd Wells and tomorrow morning Jen was going to get the bus back to Builth and drive home. But Jen had no rucksack. This would mean me carrying all my stuff plus Jen's stuff, which in itself doesn't sound that problematic, but the thing that weighs the most is water. It's really, really, really heavy. So Plan B came into operation.


I've built this up a bit but it was a pretty obvious alternative. We do the walk, get the bus back to Builth, pick the car up and drive to Llanwrtyd. This still meant that I was carrying everything but I could leave my overnight stuff in the car. It did strike me later that Jen might have done the whole thing deliberately to slow me down, but I'll give her the benefit of the doubt.



Jen and bracken. 


After a hearty continental breakfast at Caer Beris we drove into town and set off on what was a fantastic morning's walking. The path was easy with superb views throughout, a morning of sheep and bracken. After a spell on the edge of the Sennybridge military area (you wouldn't have known) we stopped at a superb viewpoint for lunch. Things got tougher after that as we descended into the valley and the temperature rose. I'd said to Jen part way through the morning that today's weather was the best of the walk so far, but by the afternoon I'd changed my mind.



Jen leading yet again (this doesn’t usually happen, but she usually has a rucksack!).


A highlight of the day was Llangammarch Wells Station (I'm pretty much completely hooked on these request stations now!), which was so well looked after, despite I suspect very few people ever getting on or off there. Llanwrtyd Wells Station at the end of the day was similarly impressive. 



Me at Llangammarch Wells Station.


So tomorrow morning it's goodbye to Jen (till Saturday anyway), and after an entire week of good or better or too much better weather, with no rain, it looks like it might be about to end in dramatic fashion!



No comments:

Post a Comment